miércoles, 23 de mayo de 2012

San Miguel is a department of El Salvador. Its provincial capital is San Miguel, a city located 138 km from San Salvador. Bordered on the north by the Republic of Honduras, on the east by the departments of Morazan and La Union, on the west by the departments of Cabañas and Abroad, and the south by the Pacific Ocean. It covers an area of 2077.1 km ² and has a population of over 480,000 inhabitants. The department was declared June 12, 1824.


Marked by historic events

The department's history is written with important facts, which show the social and economic development of San Miguel, also known as "Pearl of the Orient". Lenca culture flourished here. When the Spanish arrived in the eastern Uluas encountered the indigenous. On June 12, 1824 San Miguel was appointed as an independent province of the Mayor of San Salvador and was given the name that is known today.

On May 8, 1530 was founded the city of San Miguel by Don Pedro de Alvarado.

In 1763, the volcano Chaparrastique made ​​its first eruption.

On July 15, 1812, the General and Extraordinary Cortes granted to the department head the title of "Very Noble and Loyal City".

On March 12, 1856 the city was destroyed by fire.
In 1862, General Gerardo Barrios began construction of the cathedral.
In 1874 San Miguel became the first telegraph line.

On September 15, 1892 was introduced electric service.

On December 31, 1909 the theater opened.


14 to November 30 dedicated to Our Lady of Peace

Carnival of San Miguel

The Carnival of San Miguel is one of the most important popular celebrations of El Salvador, which takes place every November, during the festivities of the city of San Miguel.
Initially the festivities were held every May 8, date of founding of the town. In such celebrations dominated commercial transactions of merchants from various parts of Central America. In 1939 the City Council decided to move the celebration to November 21 in honor of Our Lady of Peace, the patron of the population. During that time local festivals were held in the neighborhoods of the city. As the years passed, casinos in the town dancing festivals were developed, and where income had a small group of people. These locations include the Casino Migueleño. While this was happening, outside of the box, the bulk of the population is content to listen to the music of the bands that gave life to the celebration. Among the most important collections of those years the Orchestra include polio, Paquito Palaviccini1 and Lito Barrientos.

In 1959 the celebrations took a different turn. That year he was appointed as Governor Miguel Felix Charlaix Department, who, noting the isolation of the majority during the celebrations, decided that the orchestra had their presentations on the streets of the city. Two years after its inception, the carnival had an international character with the visit of Guatemalan President Miguel Ydigoras Fuentes and the five Central American beauty queens. Over the years the popularity of carnival spread throughout El Salvador and neighboring countries, to the point of self-proclaimed, in recent times, as the most important holiday of Centroamérica.2 A significant part of the audience is made up of Salvadorans living in abroad, especially in the United States.

"San Miguel Carnival", played by Gil Medina, is a song that has accompanied this festival right from the start. Its creator, Francisco Palaviccini, 4 was composed of Xuc paced, well out of his invention. The most memorable verse shows the indiscriminate invitation to anyone wishing to attend the party:
Ni pobre, ni rico, ni joven, ni viejo, ni bello, ni feo, ni chele, ni prieto, ni hembra, ni macho, ni alto, ni bajo, todo es igual en San Miguel, en Carnaval

typical meals

Soup of legs
typical food Migueleña

Historic Landmarks

National Theatre.
Construction began on January 1, 1903 and was inaugurated on December 31, 1909. Theater offered three sections, each corresponding to different social classes of the time. The boxes the occupied upper class, the window, the middle class, and the gallery was intended for the common people.
In 1914 and 1915 he entered the cinema and for 1927 the exhibition of films have captured the activity of the theater. In 1975, the Ministry of Finance gave the property to the Ministry of Education, which thereafter undertook its restoration, taking into account its historical, architectural and aesthetic cultural development within the Salvadoran

Cathedral .On November 21, 1862 he laid the first stone of what is now the Cathedral of San Miguel. This was an effort by General Gerardo Barrios and she is the patron saint of El Salvador: Our Lady of Peace. The Cathedral is located in the heart of the city, and from any point of it can be observed both pointed and lofty towers of the facade. Many of the materials used in its finish were brought from abroad.

The tiles were imported from Belgium, the bells from Germany, the stained glass depicting biblical figures were made ​​in Mexico, and the altar (of marble), wherein lies the image of Our Lady of Peace, was brought of Italy. In 1913, Pope Pius X raised to the church the title of Diocese and was assigned to the bishop of San Miguel Dueñas the priest Juan Antonio and Argumedo, to care and expedite the construction work and provide the people from San Miguel Cathedral to the religious.


Quelepa or "Jaguars and pumas stone" is considered by archaeologists as the most important ceremonial center in the country's history.

Located five miles north of San Miguel, with an area of ​​six kilometers and an altitude of 230 meters above sea level, was the shelter Quelepa an ancient origin population Lenca. For years the site has been excavated by archaeologists and abroad, as Atilio Pecorine in 1913 and from 1949 to 1959, Willys Andrews, Tulane University, USA, returned to the previous data and found pyramidal platform eight feet mounds 10.
Other discoveries are the "Altar of the Jaguar", which followed the sacrifices Lenca, features performances of heads of snakes and the face of a big cat on display at the National Museum "David J. Guzman. "Also found fossils, pottery, jade, marble, brass, obsidian and others. Other sites of archaeological importance are the village of El Obrajuelo, Moncagua and Uluazapa